1. Name of Organization
Japan Chernobyl Foundation
2.History of Organization
January 1991: Establishment of the foundation.
October 1992: Awarded by Belarusian Minister of Health.
May 1994: Awarded 1st Shin-Mai Award.
April 2000: Awarded Franchishk Shkarina Award.
3.Main Activity of Organization
(1) Diagnosis and Therapy of Childhood Thyroid Diseases
- They performed the medical screening of thyroid gland
in schoolchildren of Gomel region, Belarus, and invited high
children to Japan
for further examination.
- They delegated Japanese medical specialists for diagnosis
and therapy of thyroid diseases, and donated diagnosis
equipment during 1991-1998.
(2) Diagnosis and Therapy of Childhood Leukemia
- They have investigated the immunological activity of children
living in high contaminated areas since 1991.
- They have trained Belarusian medical specialists in Japan,
donated drugs and medical equipment, and delegated
Japanese medical specialists, in order to support diagnosis
therapy of 100
patients with childhood leukemia admitted in Gomel
- They have supported intensive therapy of leukemia
and peripheral stem cell transplantation at Gomel
Regional Hospital since
(3) Improvement of Medical Infrastructure
- They have donated of medical equipment and kits for accurate
- They established telemedicine system between
Sinshu University (Japan) and Gomel Regional Hospital
and Minsk Pediatric
Hematological Cancer Center (Belarus) by satellite
communication for diagnostic
support and tele-conferencing.
(4) Neonatal Support System
They have delegated medical specialists for the improvement
of perinatal medical support system.
(5) Medical Screening of Adolescents
They have performed medical screening for thyroid
and hematological diseases of 150 schoolchildren
Shool, which has
been highly contaminated.
4. The Reason of the Prize
Japan Chernobyl Foundation established in 1993, in order to relief
the irradiated victims suffered from the accident of Chernobyl
Nuclear Power Plant. They have performed fund-raising from
Jaoanese citizens and continuous suppor to local doctors by
donating medical equipment and drugs, in order to improve the
medical infrastructure in this area.
Based on the above mentioned their activities, we decided to